Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Next Stop France


August 5th
I did not dwell on the thoughts of leaving my dear little wife, my mother, and baby — the journey up north was one of enthusiasm, for the train was packed with reservists, rejoining the Colours, as I. All seemed absolutely mad to go and obliterate Germany!

I couldn't partake in the excitement exhibited by my compatriots, for I was consumed in thought of what will become of my family; what fate awaited me!

The train arrived at its destination and the process of assemulation into war began.

August 6–7th

Upon arriving I had to draw a kit from supply and then on to the doctor in order to pass my physical. Upon doing so, I was detailed to join the 39th Battery, assigned to Surplus Details, as acting Quarter Master Sergeant at Borden Camp. I was very disappointed, for this meant that I should not go to the front yet.
Later I was informed that I would be part of the nucleus of a Reserve Brigade that was being formed at Shorncliffe. I ar- rived at Borden and ran into my old commanding officer who seemed to feel great satisfaction in seeing me.
I immediately volunteered for active service but had a little trouble getting past the red tape, until seeking help from Brigadier Clark. It wasn’t long after that I was assigned to the First Corps, 43rd Brigade, First Division at Deepcut.

I was to report for duty on the 14th of August. After reporting in, I was so glad to meet a couple of chums that were also assigned to the 40th Battery RFA.

We embarked at Southampton on the SS City of Chester. It was an uneventful trip over the channel to where we disembarked the next morning at Boulogne, France. I knew well that I was in France, from the grand reception we received.


August 17–19th
In rest camp outside Boulogne we thought it very tame for Active Service. We were anxious to test our skills and engage the Germans.

Our wait wasn't long. We marched to the train station where we boarded for an unknown destination.


No comments: