Friday, December 20, 2013

The Old Contemptibles


World War 1 - An Unkept Promise  By it for Christmas or Purchase "The Great Promise" on Amazon


I just finished a book written by Robin Neillands titled "The Old Comtemptibles - British Expeditionary Force, 1914"

The book is well written and although covers common knowledge on the early battles up to First Ypres, the author explodes with detailed information of the many battles leading up to the actual First Battle of Ypres.

I found his commentary compelling, leaving me with a deeper knowledge and understanding of how the accumulation of battles contributed to the attrition of the British professional soldier. The book offers story after story of the tenacity and heroism of this magnificent group of men.

After three years of researching the early battles of the war, I still found interesting facts I had not found in other sources. Of course Neillands focus was on the infantry since most of them paid the ultimate sacrifice, but for myself, I wish he would have provided a little more information on the RFA and RHA.

By the end of the book I was greatly moved by his portrayal of Britten's professional army. I was also impressed by his inclusion of both the Belgian and French armies contribution and sacrifices during the series of battles that make up First Ypres.

No comments: