Saturday, April 13, 2013

Historical Story - Document

Sorry for not keeping everyone up to date. I've been busy trying to update my book. I received book reviews from both a historian and a book reviewer (that reviews books from a reader's perspective). The historian gave the book three stars because I didn't list my sources and mixed fiction with non-fiction. From a reader's perspective she thought that the book was well worth reading.

The book reviewer gave the book five stars and praised my fiction sections for helping the reader understand the flow of the story. He never mentioned the historical short comings but focused on the story. You can check out his review on Amazon as well as that of the historian.

However, I understood the comments the historian made and could see her point. I've been in contact with her through email and she believes that with a few changes the book could find its place next to other respected World War I historical books - something that caught my attention. I've been thinking of up-dating different chapters because I've gathered more information that would be of value. One change would be to change the "Introduction" section from a story format to one that will offer the reader background information about my grandfather. Several readers suggested that they would've appreciated more information about the man who wrote the journal - I agree and use more photographs - which I now have.

I'm also adding a "Forward" section that will give the reader background information on the Royal Field Artillery to help them understand references made in some of the journal entries.

A chapter will be added that will detail my grandfather's military career after the journal entries end -

I might wait until after I donate my grandfather's military documents to the Imperial War Museum in London so I can add that chapter to the book as a conclusion to the story. Sort of a circle of life - my grandfather was born and raised in London - lived through the war, immigrated to the US and now his papers will be returned to his home country.

I'll be making so many changes to the existing book that I believe that I'll bring it out as a new book and sell it in e-book format - less expensive than printing out books. It seems like more and more people are switching to this format - its a shame because I like the feel and smell of real books but they are expensive to publish and my current book is not selling like I believe it would - if half of my blog followers purchased a book I would be a happy camper - get with it people and help preserve history.


No comments: